Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bye Bye Butterflies - Part 2

On Tuesday afternoon we let our butterflies go. Two of our butterflies didn't make it, their wings were broken. We had to dip our fingers in sugar water and then reach into the net and put our fingers by their legs. Then they crawled on our fingers and you had to take them out of the net. If you wanted to you could put some sugar water on your nose and they would crawl on your nose! Some of them started drinking the sugar water with their proboscis! It took a long time to let them go... we had more than 80 of them! A few kids stayed after school to help set the rest of our butterflies free. A couple escaped in our classroom today so we set them free too. We still have a few chysalids in our net in our classroom. Lots of the butterflies flew in the same direction when they left. One butterfly stayed on the brick wall until after we left school. It was perched right on the D in the "Dr. Hamilton School" sign. We put some of them on flowers in the garden and we saw them sucking nectar. Most of the butterflies liked the purple plant the best. Some of them even let us take pictures of them. Some stayed on our fingers for a long time. Before we let them go, we learned a poem called Flutter By. Here it is:

I chased it round the garden
I chased it down the street
I chased it to the river
That's where I wet my feet.

I chased it over cornfields
I chased it low and high
I don't think I'll ever catch
That funny butterfly!

The cool part of Flutter By is that if you put the B where the Fl is and the Fl where the B is, it spells butterfly!

It was an awesome experience! Bye, bye butterflies!
-Mrs. Malkoske's Class

No comments:

Post a Comment